Monday, July 3, 2017

A Special Presentation Coming & Today's Black-and-White Stencil Prints


A special technique for art made with the help of stencils will appear July 5, 6 and 7 on my other blog --

http://heartworkbycecilia.blogspot.com

--and will include step-by-step photos alongside directions.

Hope you can make a visit there!  And many thanks to my friends Mary Ann and Julie, whose talented hands will appear in these photos!

Today's post focuses on my own black-and-white prints made for a black-and-white art-making online class with Jane Davies.  

Note:  If you haven't yet bought Jane's new book on abstracts, burn rubber to get it!  The book covers topics valuable for both representational and abstract artists.  I think that Jane writes in a lucid way that's more easily understood than what you may find elsewhere.

This new book of Jane's concentrates on color, but today's prints are black and white because that's what I think we students will need for this particular online workshop.  (Jane offers a wide variety of workshops, both live and online.  Check out her website.)

For my prints today, I started with white paper.  I used a sponge brayer and black gesso to convert some of the papers to black.  Then, with either black gesso or Titanium White acrylic paint, I used the brayer to make these prints with stencils --


Above:  Most of the prints are shown here.  A few more are included in the close-ups below.

Above Left:2 prints with 4" x 4" Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini.  Right: Sassy Spray

4" x 4" stencil Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini. 

Above Left:  6" x 6" Palm Fronds Silhouette Small. Right: 4" x 4" Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini. 

6" x 6" Ferns stencil.
6" x 6" stencil Sassy Spray.


6" x 6" stencil Swatton Grid.

6" x 6" stencil Swatton Grid.

 6" x 6" stencil Swatton Grid.

6" x 6" stencil Swatton Links.

I'm guessing that in this workshop of Jane's, we may be creating additional black-and-white patterns, then cutting or tearing them for building collages.  

If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll be brayering over these prints with translucent acrylic paints to fill the white areas with rainbows of color.  The black areas will appear different, too, once they've been coated with translucent color.  Then they will become fodder for collage.

To see all my stencils, please visit here

Thanks for stopping by here today!

No comments:

Post a Comment