Saturday, September 9, 2017

Black and White Art-Making with Stencils


Despite undergoing cataract surgeries this past summer, I took an online class in black-and-white with Jane Davies.  (I'd paid for the course before knowing I would be having the surgeries in the same time-frame!)

I can't share the methods we participants used in art-making since that's part of Jane's class ... but I'll share the two pieces I created for one of her assignments, along with a few comments of my own.



Hot Air Balloons, made with my 9" x 12" stencil Facets.

I started with a mix of white gesso and matte medium and used the subtractive/reductive technique to lay in the stenciled area.

After the first piece, above, I switched to zinc white acrylic ... and liked its results much better:



Vases

These stencil-patterns of smaller vases in the upper left and lower right were created with my 9" x 12" stencil Vases.


 These stencils in their entirety look like this:


Vases

Facets

Thanks for visiting my blog today!  To follow by email, just use this option in the upper right sidebar.

To see all my stencils, please check here.

No comments:

Post a Comment