Wednesday, January 3, 2018

QUEEN ANNE'S LACE Stencil


Today I'm posting two past experiments with my 9"x 12" stencil Queen Anne's Lace.




Above was an experiment on printmaking paper.   My first step was to make three separate prints with the Gelli Plate, a stack of oblong shapes slightly overlapped in a vertical pattern. 

After those paints dried, I spread white modeling paste thu the stencil, lifted the stencil, and immediately washed it.  I seldom wash just-used stencils when working with acrylic paints, but when I'm using them with any of the three-dimensional media, I go ahead with the wash, to avoid bulky build-up on stencils.

Once the modeling paste was dry, I spritzed the surface with a water mister and added drops of liquid watercolor into the wet areas, allowing the color to spread at will --

-- and I quickly discovered that I should have chosen watercolor paper instead.  Printmaking paper was not meant to be used with generous pools of water.  When still wet, the paper threatened to dissolve.  When it finally dried, it warped beyond belief.  Live and learn!

Below is the cover of a greeting card, made with a paper that I had cut from a full-size Gelli Plate print. 




In the background, especially in the lower right, you can see a faint outline from my 9"x12" stencil Boxed Vines, one of the stencils used when I was creating the multi-layer background.

These two stencils in their entirety look like this:


Queen Anne's Lace


Boxed Vines

Thanks for visiting!

I'm happy to say that I've designed 70 stencils for StencilGirl.  The multiple pages of my stencils start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment